DEQ Title, click to go to DEQ home page

State Seal of Oklahoma



Compliance and
Technical Assistance


Business & Industry


Communities & Local Government


Concerned Citizens


Permit Assistance


Pollution Prevention

Environmental Education

Environmental Impact Reviews

Water Reuse




Contact Us


Email or 1-800-869-1400


Title Office of External Affairs

Permit Assistance: Land Protection

Environmental Permitting Overview

Hazardous Waste

RCRA Permits - A RCRA permit will not be required unless the facility proposes to store hazardous wastes for greater than 90 days, or treat and/or dispose of hazardous waste on-site. Otherwise, the facility will need to follow RCRA rules for their generator size as provided in the federal rules which Oklahoma has adopted by reference.

Generator Requirements - Oklahoma requires a hazardous waste generator to file a Disposal Plan for all hazardous waste if the facility generates > 2200 lbs of hazardous waste in a month. Additional information

Any facility that generates greater than 220 pounds of hazardous waste in a calendar month is required to notify the DEQ and obtain an EPA ID number by completing Form 8700-12.

Solid Waste

Solid Waste Permits - The following types of facilities are considered Solid waste disposal facilities and will require a permit from the DEQ prior to construction and/or operation.

  • Land disposal facilities - a landfill, or any other discrete area of land or land excavation, where solid waste is placed for treatment, processing, and/or disposal.
  • Solid waste processing facilities – including: transfer stations; solid waste incinerators receiving waste from off-site sources; regulated medical waste processing facilities, receiving waste from off-site sources, and that are not shared service facilities; waste tire facilities; composting facilities, except yard waste composting facilities; permanently established household hazardous waste collection facilities; and any other type of facility that processes solid waste.
  • Solid waste storage - facilities used for the storage of solid waste for longer than 10 days.
  • Used Tire Storage - facilities used for the storage of more than 50 waste tires, except as authorized by 27A O.S. 2-11-401.7.

Non-Hazardous Industrial Waste (NHIW) Disposal - If the facility disposes more than 10 cubic yards of non-hazardous industrial waste NHIW (as defined in OAC 252:515) per month, they will need to submit a non-hazardous industrial waste certification to the DEQ before they send the waste to an Oklahoma Landfill for disposal. NHIW Certification Form

SARA Title III: The Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)

Facilities that store chemicals requiring an MSDS or perform manufacturing that uses hazardous chemicals may have reporting requirements under the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) Title III.

  • Tier2 Reporting - Facilities storing 500 lbs of a listed Extremely Hazardous Substance, list can be found on DEQ website or on MSDS, or storing any other chemical requiring an MSDS in amounts over 10,000 lbs. will be required to report that storage on a Tier2 form. Due date is March 1st annually. Oklahoma requires on-line reporting; instruction can be found on the DEQ website.

  • Toxic Release Inventory - Facilities engaged in manufacturing, having more than 10 full time employees, and using listed chemicals in threshold amounts, all of which can be found on the EPA TRI website, may be required to report a Form R under the Toxic Release Inventory (TRI). Those reports are due annually on July 1st and must be submitted electronically over the EPA website. Reports are then transmitted to Oklahoma. All instructions and reporting material may be found on the EPA website.

Radiation Management

This section is responsible for regulation of radioactive materials, industrial/analytical x-ray machines and particle accelerators, and medical therapeutic x-ray machines and particle accelerators. (It does not regulate medical diagnostic X-ray machines). Additional Information