Skip to Main Content

DEQ Title, click to go to DEQ home page

Sod House

Wilcox Oil Company Superfund Site

Wilcox Refinery

 

 


View Larger Map

 

Photo Gallery

Wilcox Refinery

Wilcox Refinery before 1957

Wilcox Oil Company Site

 

  • City: near Bristow

  • County: Creek

  • Site Type: Abandoned Refinery

  • Area: Approximately 150 acres

  • Township and Range: North ½ of the Northwest 1/4 of Section 29, Township 16 North, Range 9 East and the Southwest 1/4 of the Southwest ¼ of Section 20, Township 16 North, Range 9 East

  • Latitude: 35.842328

  • Longitude: -96.384387

  • National Priorities List: Finalized December 12, 2013

  • Lead Agency:  EPA

  • Office: DEQ, Land Protection Division, (405) 702-5100

  • DEQ Contacts: Todd Downham, (405) 702-5136 or Amy Brittain, (405) 702-5157

  • DEQ Press Contact: Erin Hatfield, (405) 702-7119

  • Current Status:  Remedial Investigation

  • Local Information Repository: City of Bristow Public Library, 111 West 7th Street, Bristow, OK 74010, phone 918-367-6562, website: http://www.cityofbristow.org/Library.html

  • Regulatory Profile:

  • Sources of Contamination: contaminated soil, cooling ponds, and numerous tank bottoms.
  • Contaminants of Concern: Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and metals
  • Surface Water Impacted: Sand Creek
  • Groundwater Impacted: Impacts unknown.  The site underlain by the Barnsdall Formation.

  • Site History & Background: The site consists of the former Lorraine/Wilcox Refinery located in Creek County, Oklahoma. The property was utilized by two different refineries with overlapping boundaries from 1915 to 1965. Wilcox operated as a crude oil refinery from the 1920s until 1963. A skimming and cracking plant was constructed in 1929. The main components of the plant consisted of a skimming plant, cracking unit, and re-distillation battery with vapor recovery system and treatment equipment. Wilcox expanded when it acquired the Lorraine Refinery in 1937, which was located adjacent to Wilcox. The two refineries comprise 125 acres. The site includes remnants of former oil refining operations and tank farms. Currently there are six residents living on-site - homes are located in areas of former waste operations.

    Multiple sampling events have been conducted by the Department of Environmental Quality at the request of the EPA Region 6. Preliminary Assessment (PA), Site Investigation (SI) and Expanded Site Investigation (ESI) have been performed at both facilities.

 

Supporting Documents

Page last updated August 1, 2017